2007年11月8日木曜日

Homework #1

1. Reflecting about today's class
Today we discussed about the Japanese concept of "wrapping." Do you agree with the web site's description? What do you do that can be called "wraping"? Give examples and reasons for your action.

Answer:
I'm sorry i didn't attend that day's class, so I am not able to answer whether i agree with the web site's description's or not. My opinion's of wrapping in Japan is I think Japanese people love wrapping. I think it's sometime too much. For example, when you buy some sweets like, cookies, they wrap every single cookies. I think it's waste of the resource and now we have some problems with enviroment, so I think overwrapping is not good for the enviroment and we should think about that.

2. Preparation for the next class

a. Where do you go when you die ?
I think, when I die, I go either hevean or hell. I've never studied the life after we die, but my kindergarden was Buddism kindergarden and I've heard that we'll go heaven or hell after we die from teachers, that's why i think i believe I'll go heaven or hell after I die.

b. Explain why Japanese have death memorial services 1month, 1 year, 3 years, 7years after personal death ?
It's the Buddism thing. According to the website http://www.e-butsuji.jp/, they do a memorial services not only to pray for the souls of the dead person but also the chance to think about yourself and the Buddism. In Buddism's belief, they have metempsychoisses and after 49 days from someone's die, he/she is choosen whether what he/she will be in next life. People of their family have to pray for dead person to go to hevean, that's one of the reason why in Buddism , we have death memorial services in 1year, 3years , 7 years and so on.

4 件のコメント:

nyaa さんのコメント...

I know to wrap every single cookies is pretty waste of the resource, but don't you think it's kind of nice?? We can keep the cookies for the time when we want to eat them again because every single cookies are wrapped. SO we don't have to worry about they will be soggy soon!!

tulalup さんのコメント...

Dear nyaa

thank you for your comments ^^
That's true, when they wrap every sigle cookkies, it's good to keep them or it's clean, but do we really need to do that? I don't think so. That's my opinion^^

HJU Teacher さんのコメント...

I agree with both of you. Japan is a humid country and bugs do get into food especially in summer. However, do we really need to wrap a package 2 or 3 times? The wrapping on the cookie, then the box , then the wrapper over the box, then the shopping bag. It all seems to be a waste of natural resources and a whole lot of garbage to clean up! Good discussion.

shannon さんのコメント...

I agree with you. I haven't learned about death surely. I heared it from my grandparents and I a little believe it. Do you believe it completely?